A story always swarms around our Christmas tree. Normally it's Jared and I fussing over a real tree or a fake tree. I have never won this battle. Jared and his real tree always win. This year I decided to not even fuss. Maybe after a few years, I have decided I like the real tree. I like the joy, frustration, and magic that surrounds a real tree.
This year our journey was just the same only with more excitement since Morris and Thomas were both able to help. We were off to the Lion's Club to find the perfect tree. In Gadsden, the Lion's Club sells the best trees. They arrive at 8 am on Friday morning after Thanksgiving and are virtually gone by the weekend. We loaded up the boys on a gloomy day and started looking for joy.
Joy was found no sooner than when we pulled up. A Lion's Club member greeted our boys and gave them both a sucker. All was right with the world.
We searched high and low looking for the perfect 9 foot tree. None that were on display were the "right" tree for this perfectionist. The kind man unwrapped a tree declaring it to be the perfect one. Indeed it was. The tree is tall, full, yet still skinny. We knew it was the one!
Jared, Morris, and Thomas had the most magical time unloading the tree. We sawed the bottom of the tree, wore our gloves, and watched in amazement. Getting the tree is really the start of a wonderful season. I know that having an artificial tree is also special, but the memories made with my boys and Jared searching and preparing our tree our priceless.
Now that our tree is up covered in lights and ornaments. I can once again say, I am glad we have a real Christmas tree.
** Behind the Scenes **
Putting up the Christmas tree was not all joy:
- Morris ended up with two spankings
- Thomas broke three ornaments
- Jared and I both forgot we were so frustrated with the Christmas lights last year, we threw them all away! Mucho dollars later we now have 15 new strands of lights on our tree.
While are hearts are full of joy, it has taken us two weeks to get there. The first week of getting the tree, cutting the base, putting lights on, and putting ornaments on... wore us out! We confirmed what we already knew... when doing a real tree start early! Christmas Tree O Christmas Tree
We have a small fake tree with no lights and no ornaments. Life with a baby boy and two dogs change Christmas.
ReplyDeleteAmanda, You will get your courage up. It took us a week to find our strength to put on ornaments after the light disaster. It's what we do for the children!
ReplyDelete