Only a few posts away from being caught up... whoopie!
What does a Southern Thanksgiving look like? I guess it looks different to everyone. But, when I envision a perfect Southern Thanksgiving I see: tons of food, a huge family, and lots of love. I always think about the tv show Brothers - Sisters. It was a short lived show with lots of drama, but in the end there was always family and love. Honestly, that show was filmed in California and based off a California family, but it always made me think of a Southern Thanksgiving.
The Morris Southern Thanksgiving is full of love and tons of food, but since I am an only child it is a small crowd. I guess the amount of people doesn't matter, just the love that surrounds us.
The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving we went over to my parents house for Thanksgiving dinner. We always have a wonderful time. Bud wanted a Green Egg about two years ago. We have put that Green Egg to use and love it, especially Morris and Thomas.
For Thanksgiving it was only fitting that Bud would cook our turkey on The Egg. He started early in the day and Morris and Thomas were there to help him put the finishing touches on his bird. Morris' favorite part, carving the turkey. He was so excited. He had talked all week about how we were cooking a real turkey. I think he was expecting feathers and a beak... um no! Turkey from the grocery store is as close as we are getting to a "real" turkey, ha!
| Morris and Bud carving our "real" turkey. |
| Louis was begging for a morsel of turkey. |
Our newest addition to the Thanksgiving menu was a cranberry appetizer. My friend Jennifer had made it a few weeks before and it was delicious. It doesn't have to be for just Thanksgiving. It is the perfect addition to any winter meal. Easy, refreshing, and tasty... (recipe below)
| Morris declares he doesn't like the appetizer, only the crackers. |
The night really was fun. I have just laughed and laughed as I type this post. My boys have the most beautiful clothes. Clothes for every occasion. My belief: they may act bad, but they will always look proper. Well, that has been tough lately. Morris is very into Super Hero's! I found these cute Super Hero shirts that are meant to be "house clothes". Unfortunately Morris LOVES them. I try to fight him wearing them in public, I guess on Thanksgiving I was too tired to fuss. The Morris Thanksgiving was a Super Hero kind of day...
| Thomas helping Kaki make salad dressing. |
The Morris Thanksgiving was perfect. It wasn't the BIG Southern Thanksgiving that I picture in my mind, but it was our Southern Thanksgiving!
Cranberry Appetizer
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 (15.5 oz) can of whole cranberry sauce
zest of one orange
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. In a small mixing bowl, beat first 4 ingredients until smooth.
2. Spread on a serving dish. I made mine into a ring.
3. In a bowl, stir cranberry sauce and zest until it reaches spreading consistency.
4. Pour cranberry picture into the center of the ring
5. Sprinkle with almonds
Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Serve with crackers and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment