JARED . AMY . MORRIS . THOMAS . and LOUIS

Friday, November 23, 2012

Fields of Cotton

Fields of Cotton


 The same week we had our church directory pictures taken; we also braved taking our Christmas card pictures.  I say this all the time, but my boys are not good picture takers.  Some children sit and smile.  Mine have to be bribed, spanked, cajoled, anything you can think of and getting a good picture is still luck.


I feel blessed that one of my longtime friends, Vicki Phillips Kirk, will always take us on.  She always volunteers with a smile and gets the best pictures.  I am typically defeated after our photo shoot, but Vicki, she is always hopeful.  

I have known for a year, that I wanted our Christmas card picture to be made in a field of cotton.  The Northeast Alabama weather was a little tricky this fall.  We had more rain than normal and the temperatures dropped quickly.  I was on pins and needles that we were not going to have a good year for cotton.  I mean, I had purchased our "cotton" outfits months ago, mentally had imagined the Christmas card, booked Vicki back in the spring... this card had been well planned.  I couldn't believe the cotton wasn't going to cooperate.


Thanks goodness the cotton crop turned out.  It was a beautiful season for cotton.  On a hot fall day, I dressed the boys in their outfits for the Christmas card and we were off.  


It was an adventure.  The cotton field we used was stunning.. full bloom cotton, on a slight hill, sun at a great angle.  Now the man's field we were in, he was a Grinch.  He thought my boys were messing with his cotton.  Could he not see the photographer and a stressed momma trying to get the perfect shot?  Oh well, I thanked him in the end, but knew he was not a joyful man.  Who wouldn't want to see children enjoying nature?  


 In the end, Vicki did amazing getting our photos.  I will only leave you with a sneak peak.  I don't want to spoil our card.  The images are truly more than I could have ever imagined.  LOVE...  Thank you Vicki...

No comments:

Post a Comment