JARED . AMY . MORRIS . THOMAS . and LOUIS

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Rummage Sale



This year I am honored to be the President of the Gadsden Service Guild.  Gadsden does not have a Junior League like most old Southern towns.  The Guild was started over 70 years ago and upholds the values of giving back to the community through our time, talents, and monetary means.  

Our organization consists of around 40 ladies between the ages of 25-45.  We raise money to put back into our community while also serving those organizations through our time. 


The Rummage Sale is our largest fundraiser of the year.  The Rummage Sale is an annual event that has been taking place for over 50 years.    We work countless hours 12 months out of the year to prepare for a setup and sale that takes around 48 hours total.   

The Rummage Sale is an undertaking.   It is always a huge success raising around $15,000.  I love the rummage sale and I hate the rummage sale.  I hate the work that goes into making it happen.  But, I love to see our community members lined up at 4am to see what we'll have when the doors open at 6am.  There is no way to explain the chaos and excitement unless you've been here.  

As I stood in my infamous chair minutes before the doors open, I felt a huge lump in my throat.  My prayer is always that we may recognize the needs of others as they walk through the door.  I continue to pray that for the Guild and also for my children.  I have many faults, but generosity toward others has never been my downfall.  

At the end of the day... Gadsden Service Guild Rummage Sale 2012 met all my expectations and more!


We have two huge storage units.  Both units are large enough two fit two school buses side-by-side and are about double the height of a bus.  This picture does not do the unit justice.  Halfway through emptying storage unit 1.  
Storage unit 1 is officially empty.  It took 6-7 hours to get both of our storage units empty!

All of the items organized (organize being used loosely) and ready for shoppers.  It took around 14 hours to get everything un-boxed and ready.  
Customers lined up an hour or earlier before the doors open.  

Donning our green aprons we are dressed and ready for battle.
Alissa and Lisa checking out items.

No comments:

Post a Comment