JARED . AMY . MORRIS . THOMAS . and LOUIS

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Fort Gladden

Fort Gladden like many things started in my head months before the final product happened.  I am a thinker. My mind like Morris' races 24 hours a day.  Sometimes I blame Jared for Morris being the way he is; but, in reality, I see many of my quirks in him.  


I knew in the fall that Morris and Thomas would love a playground for Christmas.  They are always asking to play at the playground or their sweet friend Miller's house.  Early in fall, I quickly began looking for a playground that would suit our needs.  I thought the boys would enjoy a climbing wall, swings, hide-out... My list of things included a spy glass and a flag pole holder.  After looking around, I found what would be the perfect play set. 


I ordered the playground in September or October.  I did free site-to-store shipping.  Jared and I talked it out and thought how hard can this be to go pick up a few boxes.  Well... It was tough.  Three enormous boxes later, Jared had the play set hidden at the store waiting on Santa.  


The next debate started... should be hire the playground to be put up on Christmas Eve or should Santa just deliver a picture?  Jared won and the picture was delivered by Santa on Christmas morning.  Santa left a scavenger hunt leading to the picture of the playground.  


The fun began when Jared and Pop started opening the boxes to Fort Gladden.  Our friend Vicki had given us the best advice.  Lay all your parts out and then start building.  If we had not listened to Vicki, I might have had a breakdown.  


Mess, disaster, bomb... whatever word you want to use... this playground was a disaster of epic proportions.  It appeared after laying out all the parts (three huge boxes full), that our playground supplier had sent parts to two different play sets.  I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was.  This playground had been boxed up for months at Gadsden Music waiting to be assembled.  Why me... the planner... why did this happen to us.  

Pop and Jared quickly assessed the situation.  I called the manufacture and with a little only child whining  the parts were sent overnight shipping.  

Then... the rain came!  Days and days of rain in January... pieces and pieces of playground laying all over our backyard.  It was like a graveyard for playground pieces.  Finally on a sunny day, Jared and Pop resumed assembly.


Oh yes, when you think it can't get worse, it does!!!  Yet again, we were missing more pieces that were not sent in the second round of shipping!  At this point, not only was I devastated  but so was Morris.  I called the manufacturer again.  This time they didn't want to overnight pieces.  When  I told the company, that I was claiming to my children Santa let them down, they quickly changed their mind.  


In a few days, Jared and Pop were back at work.  Fort Gladden is now assembled and has enjoyed many days of play.  The boys love playing and I love them having a fun, sturdy playground.  

Days are never boring at the Gladden house!  

No comments:

Post a Comment