JARED . AMY . MORRIS . THOMAS . and LOUIS

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Teeth... Teeth... Look at My Sharp Teeth

This blog was written for Alabama Baby and Child magazine as a guest blog segment. I want to make sure this article goes onto my blog. I use my blog as a scrapbook. Morris's biting has already started improving and I want to have this article to remember the "tough times".


Morris, my almost three year old, has really struggled lately with "showing" his sharp teeth. Many days I feel like I am the only one that is struggling with a BITER. Ugh, I hoped to never have to use those words about one of my children, but the time has come... Morris is a biter! - When you see him in pictures, he is sweet, innocent, and a little mischievous looking. Well, the mischievous has been exposed at Mothers Day Out. He enjoys "showing" his teeth to his classmates. He doesn’t bite his sixth month old brother, but he is a threat to bite a friend. At first, I was mortified. Jared and I have tried everything: timeout, spanking, take-away punishments, rewards... nothing really seems to work. Many people wanted us to read books about biting. Long ago, I became frustrated by reading books and hearing about perfect methods. I try to listen to others advice, books, sometimes I am even desperate enough to “google” my problem, but mostly I just lean on my intuition. What I have decided: stop the constant worrying, continue to correct the behavior, and like all other things "this too shall pass". How are you dealing with your toddler that “shows” his/her teeth?

No comments:

Post a Comment