
Over the weekend, my mom and I did some cooking. When we are cooking with real vegetables, that means vegetables not out of the can, we call it country cooking. Now... mom and I are both great cooks, but no one would ever label us as "country" cooks. We have a long history with bad country cooking... I can remember when Jared and I started dating and at his house they would eat country fried steak. I mentioned to my mother that we should make it. She bought some kind of "country steak meat" and beat on it for hours. It was so tough it was like eating shoe leather. Ever since the country fried leather steak, my dad nor I have asked for anymore country meals... Fast forward about 15 years and my dad and Jared think mother and I have turned into "country" cooks. My dad brings home real green beans and Jared brings home 24 ears of corn. Mother picked and stringed her beans and t

hey looked great. Then we started on the corn.... it was dreadful. The tearing off the leaves, de-silking, washing, cutting off the cob... too much work! Mother said it would have been easier if I had a vegetable brush. I have every kitchen gadget you can think of, and nothing would get the silks off. When we were finished with 12 ears, we had enough corn for five. I was so exhausted I couldn't even eat the corn. There was corn on the floor, corn on the counter, corn in my hair, corn. corn.. corn... The best part of the day was when we were in the heat of working my mother announces, when did we decide we couldn't eat canned vegetables! From this point forward, we are canned and frozen vegetable cookers...
You crack me up! Your posts are so funny! Hope you are doing good! Lauren
ReplyDelete