I am back to blogging. I am not really sure why I stopped. I guess I was busy... just lost interest... wasn't really into blogging... I can't specifically pinpoint a reason, but I am back. I don't really blog for other people, I mostly do it for me. I keep up with this journey called life we are busy living.
After a few deep breathes, I decided this morning was the day to restart the blog...
It will take me months to catch up with what has been happening with the Gladden's. I decided instead of back tracking, I am just going to sprinkle in old and new information.
I was trying to decided what I was going to blog about when I reopened the blog. Mom Meals. My girlfriends and I talk all the time about what we are cooking for dinner. We share recipes and enjoy finding new ones. I want to start sharing some of our favorite, easy recipes: Mom Meals.
Having dinner as a family is so important to me. Jared and I both grew up eating around the table for dinner. That doesn't mean it was gourmet, there was a lot of hamburger helper, but the effort was always made to eat as a family. I want my boys to grow up knowing what it means to eat and fellowship together.
Mom Meals are easy meals to prepare. My boys are pretty much expect to eat what I cook. Do they eat everything, NO. Do I make modifications, YES. But, it is important for my boys to eat real food.
For Jared's birthday, he requested a Big Green Egg. My dad has cooked on one for about two years. We love The Egg. Jared wanted one and it has been great for our family. On the weekend, he gets to help with Mom Meals.
This Sunday Jared helped cook one of my favorite Big Green Egg Chicken Dishes. Tell your husbands to crank up the grill, it's time to help momma cook. For our weekend Mom Meal we enjoyed Gilmer Chicken on the Big Green Egg and Sweet Tart Salad.
Big Green Egg Gilmer Chicken
** Big Green Egg Gilmer Chicken was given to us by our good friend Grant Gilmer. Jared wanted a delicious and easy recipe for The Egg. Grant told Jared his recipe and we have been cooking it ever since. Thanks Grant.
Serves: 5/6
* Chicken Thighs (we normally cook about 10)
* Butter
* Your favorite dry rub (we use Dixie Dirt)
- Trim excess skin off chicken thighs
- Place thighs in disposable tin pan
- Sprinkle thighs with dry rub (sprinkle both sides)
- Place a small pat of butter on each thigh
- Heat The Egg to 275 degrees using indirect heat using either fruit or hickory chips.
- Cook approximately 2 hours until you reach an internal temperature of 170.
- Let rest covered for 30 minutes before enjoying.
Sweet Tart Salad
** My mom found this recipe about two years ago in one of our favorite cookbooks: Tables of Content by The Junior League of Birmingham, Alabama (page 86 if you have the cookbook). It is the perfect fall salad.
Serves 8
Poppy Seed Dressing
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
* 1 tablespoon paprika
* 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a jar.
- Shake well.
- Chill and cover until time to serve
- Best when made ahead.
Salad
* 10 ounces butter lettuce
* 4 cups granny smith apples sliced
* 2 cups garlic bagel chips, crushed
* 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
* 1/4 cup chopped pecans
* 1 tablespoon pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients to make a delicious salad and toss with poppy seed dressing.
We really loved our weekend Mom Meal of Smoked Chicken and Sweet Tart Salad. I am sure there will be many more Mom Meals to come on the blog.
Happy Eating!
No comments:
Post a Comment